Friday, August 9, 2019

IAJGS2019 part 2 and Kandel cousins

Kandel Sisters: Bella Kandel Lieberman,
Alte Sara Kandel Apple, Chana Kandel Goldenberg
with Harry Apple
As I mentioned, my time at the Cleveland conference was really busy.  On Thursday I spent some time learning what is new in Ukraine research before giving my talk about this blog and how it has helped my research.  The talk went well, I think, and had good attendance.  I had been a bit concerned that few people would come because I had already given the talk at our local JGS so I didn't expect my friends to show up in support. Thursday night was the banquet which is always interesting.  This year we had a speaker on Jewish jokes so there was a lot of laughter. On Friday morning I met over breakfast with the new head of the Ukraine SIG to discuss my document translation project.  That was the last big item on my to-do list for this conference and I was glad she could fit me in.  My final session was a good one on DNA analysis with endogamous populations where I picked up some good techniques.  As usual, one of the best things about the conference is the opportunity to chat with new people with a real interest in genealogy.  The discussions go on into the evenings, in the lobby while waiting for airport transportation, and even in the departure gate areas at the airport.

This conference was extra special because I connected with cousins on a branch of my tree where I had no personal connections.  I had arranged to meet on Monday with my local cousin who I had corresponded with some years before and who had finally provided me with identification of the wonderful photo above of my great-grandmother Bella Lieberman with her sisters and nephew.  That had been in my "Who am I?" file for many years.  This cousin is descended from both Alte Sarah and Chana as her parents were cousins. We had planned for dinner and a three-hour meeting before my 7:30 session that night.  Once we started talking, we clicked, and my meeting was ignored in her favor.  We walked around downtown while we talked and she showed me some of her favorite places in Cleveland. In addition to providing me with family information, she put me on the phone with another cousin in Boston.  She came back to the conference as planned on Thursday to hear my talk, and brought photos, papers, and other information on her side of the family.  After another few hours, I did have to leave to attend the banquet.  Hearing that I was done with the conference by 11AM on Friday, but my flight wasn't until the evening, she arranged to pick me up on Friday for lunch with another local cousin and his wife.  We all had a great time sharing stories about the family and looking at photos.  They also agreed to take DNA tests and join my family DNA project (I had bought three kits at the conference so I had them handy).  Since then, she has contacted several more cousins on her line, connected me with them on Facebook and e-mail, and gotten agreement for several more DNA test kits that I will mail out to the happy recipients.  A genealogy goldmine, and a new group of friends.

I can't wait for next year's conference in San Diego!  There are cousins there, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment